Thursday 28 April 2016

Tomorrow's Engineers – Energiser Event


Hello JRCS Scientists! 

On Wednesday, two Y7 top set Science groups took part in the Tomorrow’s Engineers Energiser Event which has been designed to encourage the next generation of scientists and engineers.  Our students had a chance to work with an engineer, Mr Nigel Moore, and learn about his job. The pupils looked at the following areas: 
- Our World, Your Future – the effects of a growing world population;
- Potential Energy – the global energy mix including renewable and non-renewable energy;
- Kinetic Energy – building and testing a Solar Car;
- Engineering Careers – looking at what engineers do and the routes into engineering careers.


We had a lot of fun building wind turbines and cars of the future. Here are a few quotes from the students who participated.

“It was great finding out about all the different types of engineers, I have learnt a lot throughout this experience” Hannah Tolentino 7G


“After this experience we now know about many job opportunities in engineering” Matthew Korbuch 7I


“It was so fun, I forgot we were learning!” Devika Ahtty 7I


“This experience made me change my view on engineering completely. Now I think that any idea could be a reality with engineering” Joel Walpole 7A


“I feel like today’s engineering project opened up many career paths for me, as they taught me all the requirements of becoming an engineer while being incredibly fun” Jeremiah Ogunturin 7E


“It was a new experience for me and was very interesting to be able to do something an engineer does. Altogether, it was really fun.”  Renee Moundjongui-Bastos 7F


“My favourite part of the workshop was building the car. I enjoyed the creative part of the building process. I will probably consider engineering as an option for the future” Maya Quagraine 7H  












Check out our learning journey on the Carbon Capture and Storage Project (click here)